This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Mental Health

Adult mental health services available in St Helens are for all people over the age of 18 years, under 18 year olds would still be seen by CAMHS (Child and Adult Mental Health Services), people with cognitive deficits (i.e. memory issues) can be referred to LLAMS (Later Life and Memory Services) providing the symptoms are isolated and not related to symptoms also evident in depression/anxiety.

A person in crisis that is not currently under a treatment plan with secondary services should initially attempt to see their GP, or if out of hours contact the Assessment Team.  There is an A&E Liaison Team based in Whiston Hospital who will assess people that present to A&E in an emergency, however, people should first attempt to see their GP or speak to the Assessment Team before presenting to Whiston Hospital.

Services Provided:

  • Open Mind,The Primary Care Mental Health Team assess and provide services for people presenting with mild to moderate issues such as anxiety, OCD, phobias and depression
  • Early Intervention Scheme team works with people with suspected psychosis and/or drug/alcohol issues
  • The Home Treatment team provides treatment for a person at home to prevent a hospital admission, they will also see people at home that have recently been discharged from a mental health ward.  Those people that are in a crisis and under the Recovery Team will be referred to the Home Treatment Team.
  • The St Helens Recovery Team can provide several services including Psychological therapies, an allocated care co-ordinator (previously called CPN's), a recovery college (group sessions and therapies) as well as out-patient appointments with a Consultant Psychiatrist.

How to Access the Service:

Access into all NHS Mental Health Services should be made via a self-referral to the Open Mind Service 0800 183 0206 or by a health professional (GP, Social Worker etc)

Information Source: 24/04/2018

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website